Spiritual direction has a very clear purpose: directing our attention to the daily presence of God in our lives. It moves us into the hard work of heart work.
I believe we would all like to have someone in our life who helps facilitate our spiritual growth on a very personal level. It doesn't matter who you are or where you are on that journey. A spiritual director helps you pay attention to your spiritual experiences and, from there, helps you move to intention in planning for spiritual growth.
Spiritual direction is a form of hospitality. It says, "Welcome to this safe space. Pull up a chair, let's talk awhile. Let me listen to you as you listen to your heart and to God."
In spiritual direction, you reflect on your life experiences. You will begin to recognize God’s presence in your life, and you will discover how God has been at work, seeking you out, drawing you to Himself. Within an atmosphere of prayerful conversation, you will become more aware of what is happening in yourself and the ways you have cooperated or resisted God's grace and love.
Knowledge of God and knowledge of self are the greatest gifts of spiritual direction.
You may want spiritual direction if you
• desire to go deeper in your relationship with God
• give out continually to help others and yet you find no one is looking out for you
• feel stuck and are spiritually dry
• need discernment for decision making
• long to finish life well
• desire to move towards simplicity, rest, inner freedom, and a sustainable rhythm of life.
• want to grow in prayer and other spiritual formation practices
In a series of private conversations that are tailored to your unique and current needs, you will
• see God's present activity in your life in new ways
• grow in inner freedom from the things hindering your growth
• learn how to still your soul and be at rest in the midst of life's demands
• engage in valuable spiritual practices that nourish you
• experience grace touching the deep needs of your heart
• gain new insights and endurance to travel through a dark time
• experience God's love healing wounds which remain from your past
Frequently Asked Questions
How often do we meet?
Sessions typically take place once a month and last an hour. We can meet face-to-face or through an online platform (such as skype, zoom, google hang-out, facetime, facebook video chat).
What can I expect from our time together?
We will focus on your relationship with God as t is reflected in all aspets of your life. Together we will discern God's presence and activity in your life and we will notice the ways you are resonding to God. Together we will "dust for the fingerprints of God." I will ask questions and make observations that hopefully will help you process and reflect on your experiences. Sometimes I may give practical suggestions or a teaching on an area in your life you want to grow in, such as prayer, or journaling, or finding a sustainable rhythm of life.
What can I expect from you?
I will make a commitment to pray for you.
I wlll keep confidential all you share with me.
I will guard the most important relationship in our time together: the one between you and God. God is the true director of our time. I want to give you ample time to listen to God's voice and to your own voice. Offering you a safe space in which you can go as slowly as you want is my desire.
What is expected of me?
That you pay attention to what God is doing in your life.
That you share your story openly and honestly.
That you pursue your desires for your relationship with God in an intentional manner.
Is there a cost?
I ask for donations based on a sliding scale of $45 – $75 per session. Much of your donation goes into my own upgrading as a spiritual director.